Skip To Main Content


Q:  Who can enroll?
Any adult over the age of 18.
Q: How can I enroll?
Students must attend an orientation, a testing session and an individual meeting with a counselor for placement in classes.
Q: How much does it cost?
There is no fee for High School Diploma (HSD) and GED/HiSET (HSE) courses.
Q: Which programs are offered?
NVAE has both High School Diploma (HSD) Classes in which students earn credits and High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation Classes, to get ready to take a test. After reviewing your transcripts, your counselor will create a learning plan that is right for you and your schedule.
Q: What is the difference between the High School Diploma (HSD) and the GED/HiSET (HSE) Programs?
The HSD requires the completion of credits. The GED/HiSET are earned by testing. There are some employers that will require the HSD.
Q: What is the GED or HiSET?
The General Education Development and the HiSET are two separate series of High School Equivalency exams that, when successfully completed, generate a high school diploma from California. The GED consists of 4 exams. The HiSET divides the Language Arts Subject matter into two tests, reading and writing, so it consists of 5 tests.
Q: How long will it take for me to earn my High School Diploma?
Completing the HSD depends on how many credits you need in order to graduate. Another variable is the amount of time you can devote to the class and assigned work. The program is self-paced and students are in control of how quickly they achieve their goals.
Q: How can I earn credits for a High School Diploma?
You can attend our day or evening classes where you will either work on projects, or enroll in a self-paced computer-based instruction. Attendance is required but students can accelerate their learning by logging into the program outside the class.
We also offer an independent study program where students meet with the instructor once a week and are required to complete at least one credit per week.
Q: How fast can I earn credits?
There is no standard answer to this question. It depends on how much work you complete, and how hard you are willing to work. Credits are awarded based on completed assignments. In general, one credit is earned for every 12 hours of work with assignment completion.
Q: Do you offer the GED or HiSET test?
Yes, we are a Pearson Vue and an ETS HiSET test center. The GED is a computer based test and the HiSET is offered on paper. However, registration and payment for each test is done through Pearson Vue and ETS.
Q: How do I get my transcripts?
You will receive one free transcript as you complete the requirements for High School Diploma Classes. Additional transcripts are available for $10.00 each. (Please see our website.)
Q: How do I get my GED Transcripts?
If you completed your GED after 1990, you must create an account at The GED Credential Requesting Service.
If you completed your GED before 1990, you must contact your testing center.
Q: Do you provide babysitting services?
Free babysitting is available for morning and evening students at the main campus. Children must be 18 months and older. Space is limited, and on a first come, first served basis. Please allow time for the registration process.
Q: Is the adult high school program accredited?
Yes, our programs are accredited by (WASC) the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Q: Is there a graduation ceremony?
High School Diploma and High School Equivalency completers, who are currently enrolled and have completed all of the testing and exit requirements, can participate in our graduation ceremony every June.